Monday, October 02, 2006

Art in Ads


The debate about whether ad agencies are moving towards media arts is interesting (see a bunch of posts below) but perhaps cyclical. The industry's way of promoting products used to be to find a graphic artist with a certain style that you'd associate with your brand and bingo you had a poster.

IMHO, there's not enough of this sort of stuff anymore.

Why?

Perhaps there's a tyranny of copywriters that insists on ideas that come from headlines first (I did a stint as a copywriter once, so I can say that in some safety) - or perhaps Design (as distinct from art direction) is not a natural part of the creative team composition. I was reminded of a Nike client briefing someone told me about once where the creative team invited to the presentation was a designer and a planner. Maybe, with the advent of more design-led creatives coming through from digital agencies into the mainstream, we'll see more art-led ideas?

3 comments:

Stanley Johnson said...

Ever wondered why online advertising is so bad? Design led creative.

Ever wondered why banner ads have overlong headlines? Design led creative.

The last thing we need is digital creatives (designers) moving into mainstream advertising.

The best campaign I've seen in a while is the W&K poster work for Nike/Italy.

It's very much in the style you have posted about.

I am currently working on a campaign for a major newspaper. I am intending to brief my concepts to a variety of artists to interpret.

This should result in a unique campaign.

By the way, did I mention I am a copywriter? And, like all good copywriters, I deal in ideas not words.

Stanley Johnson said...

For some obscure reason my previous post has not listed my details correctly.

My name is Stan Lee and my blog is Brand DNA

By the way, if this is the Robin Jaffray who worked at FCB London about 5 years ago, Stan from FCBi says hello.

Robin Jaffray said...

Hi Stan, nice to hear from you. If you're in London, send me an email and it'd be nice to hook up again.

I guess there are a couple of questions in your comments - do planners have a closer role in the creative team (rather than the process), and is using art just another technique, or a genre that it would be nice to see more of?