Sunday, June 15, 2008

Geo-tagging to hit the mainstream?



I've always loved the idea of geo-tagging photographs. I used to travel maybe 120 times a year and took photographs as a way of documenting my trips (on film too - I'm that old). Then, I played around with Google Earth, dropping holiday photos onto maps of the planet. And sharing them with friends around the world. All good fun but it always felt at the edge of nerd-dom.
Now I have a BlackBerry (they're a client, hence the correct spelling). As do many many other people. Now, Nokia have had gps in the n95 for a while, but BlackBerry have a huge installed base and repurchase rate. That makes me think it's *just* the device to get geo-tagging to take off, big-styley. I don't quite know - apart from ego (showing off) or keeping track of close friends and relatives, what the real application of geo-tagging is - but I can't wait to find out (thoughts please!!!)
I just wish these BlackBerrys had a decent damn camera.
Anyway, to cut a long story short, I set up a little Flickr group to this end, and let's see who comes to play.

No comments: