Thursday, January 08, 2009

Loose confederations

Just a quick post to agree with Leigh Stop's prediction for the year. If you don't get his annual email, you should. I have his address if you want. I'll quote verbatim and then respond after:

First the economy. I'm only going to mention it once. It will be a year of the football metaphor. There will be much talk of the need to take 'each day, one at a time'. It will be 'a year of two halves'. There will be a lot of emphasis on 'the importance of good defence' and 'the need to sell before you buy'.  There will only really be two places to be, either at the top of the premier league like Manchester United or somewhere in the middle of League 2 of the Championship like Brentford who offer good basic value for money. For my money Brentford might do better than Manchester United - honest toil. Affordable prices. The games last exactly the same length of time. You can go to 5 matches for the same price as one. No contest. BETTER TO BE BRENTFORD THAN MANCHESTER UNITED

I work for an independent agency. No network. Certainly not Man U (I used to but have got the T-Shirt, thanks). One way I think smaller or independent agencies can prosper will be to form loose confederations of mutual capabilities. Small, agile, innovative networks built on friendships or shared culture not on network matching luggage. Maybe we've always done that as agencies, but I think it will become more formal and open. And maybe we'll see enlightened clients seeking them out.

No comments: