Wednesday, January 07, 2009

New year, new brief

Richard, and many other planners, prefer to use a blank creative brief. Each project is unique and the should be written up as such. Instinctively I like that thought, but in my experience most creatives tend to like a (consistent) structure (tell me if I'm wrong!). The last time I revamped a creative brief, I sat down with my then creative director and we did a sort of pick and mix of all the best briefs to put a highly structured brief format together. It ended up being quite close to this one.

However, I think there were too many boxes. It was forcing different issues and problems into the same way of thinking. So this year, we've gone and thrown out most of the boxes - yay. Even the trusty old insight and audience boxes have gone - thank goodness. No longer can planners or suits cut and paste from client briefs, but they have to really think through what's important and how they will express it (if the insight is important, make it the key thought).

Maybe I haven't seen the 'blank brief' light yet, but so far, the creative teams seem to like this one, and the work is strong, which are the ultimate acid tests, I guess.

No comments: